Monday 12 September 2011

An ode to a friend on her birthday!

I did not wish my friend on her birthday for the first time in the last 24 years – not that I forgot her day or I misplaced her number; nor did I had an argument over a petty issue -  two decades is a long time not to have misunderstanding creep through a relation or for any other silly reason. It’s just that my good old friend doesn’t want any connection with any of her friends. And I know it’s not just that. It was a difficult choice – for both!!

“I do not want to be in touch with any of my old friends. I have nothing to talk about and I am not interested to know about the happenings in your life. Don’t try to contact me, ever.” shouted my friend through the messenger chat window- as I looked on flabbergasted. Even before I could punch a reply, she signed out. I had nothing more to say.  

Life is all about experiences and all our experiences shape the existence of the relationships that we have nurtured, cherished and shared for long. She can’t be blamed – for I know that life has been extremely unkind. The tragedies, countless.

I know she is lonely. Extremely lonely. Life had ebbed out of her, the moment she saw life crawling out of the love of her life. Unannounced, unprepared she lost the most important person. She looked lifeless the last I saw her some 2 years ago. The fun telephonic conversations that sustained our relationship ever since we moved out of high school slowly switched over to ‘me only’ mode and in the last one year, unanswered, always.

There are times when we all want to shunt out the world around us. Everything old and known seems meaningless. We want to move and hence remove the debris of the past. And in the decision that she has taken, I hope she is able to find the path that brings her true and everlasting joy. And in her journey, I am with her by not being there at all!

I had no better day to delete her name from my phone contact book – her birthday!!!!
       Wish you a very happy birthday, my white angel !!!!!


3 comments:

  1. Its sad to know what has happened. A 2 decades old relation ship cannot and should not sink like this.
    As you said that she lost the most precious person in her life, Its obvious for anybody to be like her for many reasons.
    You may delete her contact details from your cell phone book but Can u delete the good times/conversation shared with her??? I guess NO.... Shes not been as fortunate as you are and i think it was just her state of mind that she behaved like that. I think your state of mind is in a better position than her and you should not react like this. Give her some time and just be there for her w/o any question marks in ur mind. She will surely acknowledge that some day and the day will take ur relation ship to an other level.
    I pray for her and for your friendship to blossom again.
    God Bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good One...keep on writing...eventually, sentences and ideas will become crisp, tight. Have fun...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Ode to a friend is straight from the heart;resonates John Keats in a different context;keep writing;there is poetry beneath this beautiful prose.

    ReplyDelete